Overview English Language Learner Services
Calexico Unified School District is comprised of seven K-6 elementary schools, two junior highs “grades 7 – 8,” one comprehensive high school grades 9 –12, one continuation high school grades 9 – 12, and an adult education program. The October 2014-15 CALPADS data reflects a K – 12 student population of 9,263, of which 65% of students are English Learners with Spanish as their primary. As per the 2014-15 CALPADS data, 98% enter kindergarten as English Learners. The majority of the students is from low socio-economic background with more than 85% eligible for free and reduced lunch. Ethnicity figures are: 99.1% Hispanic descent, less than 1 % other (predominantly white, not Hispanic). The District also serves a high percentage (14.27%) of students identified as migrant. By the nature of its proximity to the Mexican border, CUSD is continually impacted by students who are recent immigrants (594 in 2014-15).
The office of English Language Learner Services is dedicated to serving the needs of our English language learners. The ELL office support the district in providing a high quality K-12 educational programs and full range of learning opportunities and academic access to all English language learner students. Our programs are designed to ensure the obligation of:
- Developing English language proficiency as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Providing access to academic content instruction.
The EL program is grounded in first and second language acquisition theory and includes:
- Identification and placement of EL students into appropriate programs/services.
- Educational programs that focus on delivering core academic content and integrated and designated English Language Development (ELD) instruction.
- Systemic monitoring of EL progress until reclassification to Fluent English Proficient (RFEP).
Our goal is to ensure that English language learners are proficient in English academic discourse and are able to compete academically in college and career. In order to meet this goal, we are committed to the following.
- English language learners will increase one CELDT proficiency level each year.
- English language learners enrolled less than five years will attain English proficiency as measured by CELDT or other state designated language assessment.
- English language learners reach reclassification in five years or less following the state guidelines.
Calexico Unified School District is committed to meeting the educational needs of all its students by providing them with quality instructional programs. The District’s English Learner (EL) programs are based on federal legal requirements for EL students as well as California education code. The district follows its motto: “We must have one single driving priority…the academic achievement of our students”. The primary purpose of the Master Plan is to guide school administrators and teachers in implementing programs for English Language Learners (ELLs) to achieve the District ELL goal.
The ELL office coordinates our site-based parent English Learner Advisory Committees (ELAC), and the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC), a district-based advisory committee made up of representatives from each school’s ELAC.
Coordinator of English Language Learner Services
Phone: 760-768-38888 x 3054